The International Tropical Timber Organization (ITTO) is an intergovernmental organization promoting the sustainable management and conservation of tropical forests and the expansion and diversification of international trade in tropical timber from sustainably managed and legally harvested forests. ITTO:
- Develops internationally agreed policy guidelines and norms to encourage sustainable forest management (SFM) and sustainable tropical timber industries and trade.
- Assists tropical member countries to adapt such guidelines and norms to local circumstances and to implement them in the field through projects and other activities.
- Collects, analyzes and disseminates data on the production and trade of tropical timber.
- Promotes sustainable tropical timber supply chains.
- Helps develop capacity in tropical forestry.