Sciensano is a research center and the National Institute of Public Health in Belgium . As such, it is a scientific institution that works under the authority of the Federal Minister of Public Health and the Minister of Agriculture.
Sciensano's scientific activity is developed around six areas of action:
- the Health and Environment ;
- the consumption and food security ;
- Health and disease surveillance;
- The quality of health care;
- The animal health ;
- The quality of medical laboratories , the efficacy and safety of vaccines, drugs and other health products.