The purpose of the Fund for Scientific Research (F.R.S.–FNRS) is to develop fundamental scientific research within the framework of initiatives presented by researchers. It encourages the production and development of knowledge by both supporting individual researchers, and also by financing research programmes conducted in the laboratories and facilities mostly located in the universities of the Wallonia-Brussels Federation.
Founded on the sole principal of scientific excellence, the financial support of the F.R.S.-FNRS comes in several forms:
- temporary or permanent remuneration of individual researchers,
- funding of research teams,
- participation in international networks and programmes,
- allocation of grants and credits which promote scientific exchange,
- awarding scientific prizes.
The F.R.S.-FNRS is also responsible for informing researchers about and encouraging them to participate in the European research and innovations programmes with which the Wallonia-Brussels Federation is involved.