Governments establish basis for implementation of Nagoya Protocol on Genetic Resources
Press release and documents issued at the end of the first meeting of the Intergovernmental Committee for the Nagoya Protocol on Access to Genetic Resources and the Fair and Equitable Sharing of Benefits Arising from their Utilization of the Convention on Biological Diversity (Montreal, 5-10 June 2011).
CBD Secretariat press release http://www.cbd.int/doc/press/2011/pr-2011-06-13-icnp-en.pdf
Documents available on the website of the CBD (http://www.cbd.int/absicnp1/insession/):
· the draft Report of the First Meeting of the Open-Ended Ad Hoc Intergovernmental Committee for the Nagoya Protocol on Access to Genetic Resources and the Fair and Equitable Sharing of Benefits Arising from their Utilization (Montreal, Canada, 5-10 June 2011);
and the draft recommendations on:
· Modalities of operation of the Access and Benefit-sharing Clearing-House - Draft recommendation;
· Measures to assist in capacity-building and development and the strengthening of human resources and institutional capacities in developing countries and Parties with economies in transition;
· Measures to raise awareness of the importance of genetic resources and associated traditional knowledge;
· Cooperative procedures and institutional mechanisms to promote compliance with the Protocol and to address cases of non-compliance;
as they were presented to the Plenary for adoption on 10 June 2011.