The European Week for Waste Reduction
The European Week for Waste Reduction is a 3-year project supported by the LIFE+ Programme of the European Commission. The EWWR aims to organise multiple actions during a single week, across Europe, that will raise awareness about waste prevention. In 2012, it will take place from 17 to 25 November.
|Period||[17/11/2012 - 25/11/2012]|
|Event location||Different locations in Belgium|
|Host||LIFE+, European Commission|
|Geographical coverage||EU - European Union, Europe, Belgium,|
|Keywords||waste reduction, pollution, waste,|
Why launch a European Week ?
- To raise awareness about waste reduction strategies and about the policies of the European Union and its Member States on this subject
- To promote sustainable waste reduction actions across Europe
- To highlight the work accomplished by various actors, through concrete examples of waste reduction
- To encourage changes in the behaviour of Europeans (consumption, production) in everyday life
Who is the Week for ?
- For those public authorities across Europe that have competence in the field of waste prevention that responded to a Call for Interest launched by the official partners of the project. These EWWR Organisers act as coordinators of the Week in the area covered by their authority, thereby ensuring the promotion of the EWWR on their territory, as well as the registration and validation of actions proposed by various Project Developers.
- For “Project Developers” interested in carrying out awareness raising actions on the subject of waste prevention during the Week, with the aim of informing the greatest possible number of citizens. These Project Developers register their proposals for EWWR actions through the national, regional or local Organiser covering their area.
- For European citizens who participate in actions set up by Project Developers during the Week and learn about the kind of waste reduction habits that they can take up in everyday life.
5 categories of Project Developer
- Administration/public authority
- Educational establishment
- Other (for example : hospital, retirement home, cultural centre etc.).
Outcomes of the 2011 edition
The EWWR – 2011 edition met a huge success! Thanks to the commitment of all Project Developers, more than 7.035 actions were implemented across 30 European countries and 2 Latin-American countries during this Week. Activities on waste prevention awareness took place in various kind of places, such as firm restaurants, schools and even churches.
Pictorial evidences can be found on the website within the week in pictures section!