Tackling climate, fragility & finance challenges for the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
Together with the ACROPOLIS platforms (KLIMOS, BeFind and Aid Effectiveness and Fragility) DGD, VLIR-UOS and ARES will explore the results of the past ACROPOLIS research and how these results can contribute to a better achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
|Event location||Egmont Palace n° 8 de la place du Petit Sablon, 1000 Brussels|
|Host||ACROPOLIS platforms (KLIMOS, BeFind and Aid Effectiveness and Fragility) DGD, VLIR-UOS and ARES|
Liesbeth Loddewykx (DGD) or Bruno Verbist (KLIMOS)
The purpose is to come to an integrated assessment of some of the global challenges we face and how the SDGs can contribute to tackle these. We will look for win-win solutions and identify possible trade-offs. By doing this exercise jointly, the three ACROPOLIS platforms hope to contribute to the effectiveness and policy coherence of the Belgian development aid.
Presentations and discussions will be in the language of the presenters (Dutch, French or English).
As in the DGD tradition everybody can speak his/her own language. Simultaneous translation is not foreseen.
Participation is free, but for logistic reasons we kindly ask you to register at https://ees.kuleuven.be/klimos/workshops-conferences/acropolis-workshop-2017.html before 10th April.
09.00 - 09.30 Registration / Welcome coffee
09.30 – 10.30 SESSION 1 Welcoming remarks and introduction by:
- Dir.-Gen. Bruno van der Pluijm (DGD)
- VLIR-UOS and ARES
- Alexander De Croo (Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Development Cooperation)
10.30 – 12.00 SESSION 2 Climate & energy MODERATOR: Anne-Marie Van der Avort (DGD)
- Realising SDG 13 (Climate action) through SDG 7 (Clean & Affordable Energy) and SDG 15 Life on Land (Bruno Verbist, KULeuven - KLIMOS)
- Climate change and the energy transition (Prof. em. Aviel Verbruggen, UA-KLIMOS)
- Climate Finance (Sarah Vaes & Huib Huyse, KULeuven – BeFinD)
12.00-13.30 Networking Lunch & poster session
13.30 – 15.00 SESSION 3 Aid effectiveness and fragility MODERATOR: Koen Van Acoleyen (DGD)
- SDG 16: Peace, justice and strong institutions, why they matter (Emmanuel Klimis, USL-B, Aid effectiveness in Fragile Contexts)
- Working in and on fragility: from obstacles to a guidance (Geoffroy Matagne, ULg & Thomas Vervisch, UGent, Aid effectiveness in Fragile Contexts)
- Fragile countries: poor people, but environmentally rich. Do voluntary standards make a difference? (Axel Marx & Koen Vanderhaegen, KULeuven -KLIMOS)
15.00-15.30 Coffee break
15.30 – 17.00 SESSION 4 Development Finance MODERATOR: Christian de Lannoy (DGD)
- SDG 17: Strengthen the means of implementation (Romain Houssa, BeFinD)
- Incentives & commitments approaches to conditionality in financing (Sidney Leclercq, ULB-UCL, Aid effectiveness in Fragile Contexts)
- The challenge of aid effectiveness: revisiting the trade-off between needs and governance (Prof. Jean Philippe Platteau, UNamur - BeFinD)
17.00 -17.15 Closing remarks by DGD, VLIR-UOS and ARES